Modern surgical techniques may permit an outpatient approach to operations which in the past might require a larger abdominal incision and a hospital stay.
Our surgeons were among the first in the US to perform laparoscopic hysterectomies and other advanced laparoscopic operations and have trained hundreds of other surgeons in these techniques over the years. Operative hysteroscopy may be useful for removing fibroids or polyps from within the uterus without a surgical incision and in treating menstrual disorders (endometrial ablation).
At present minimally invasive operations may include:
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Laparoscopically –assisted vaginal hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic removal of ovaries or ovarian masses
- Laparoscopic tubal ligation
- Laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis
- Laparoscopic treatment of fibroids in selected cases
- Operative hysteroscopy for removal of fibroids within the uterine cavity
- Operative hysteroscopy for endometrial ablation
- Operative hysteroscopy for tubal ligation procedures
The decision to consider a minimally invasive surgical approach must be individualized to each woman’s particular problem, and in some cases the safest and most effective procedure may be by conventional surgery. Our surgeons are highly experienced in selecting the most appropriate surgical approach for a given problem and will be happy to discuss all the alternatives for surgical treatment at your office consultation visit.